MOST ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS HAJJ AND HOW DO YOU PERFORM HAJJ ?
The Pilgrimage to Makkah in the state of Ihram and observing Wuqoof (being present) at Arafat and other prescribed actions in the first 10 days in the month of Zul-Heja (the lunar month).
- Be in the state of Ihram before the Miqaat.
- Perform the first Tawaf (called Tawaf-Al-Qudoom)
- On the 8th day of Zul-Heja go to Mina (a town 3 miles from Makkah) before Zuhr prayer and stay one night.
- On the 9th day after Fajr prayer proceeds to Arafat and stay in any area surrounding the Hill of Mercy (Jab-Al-rahmat).
- Just after sunset leave Arafat to Muzdalifa (a place between Mina and Arafat), perform both Maghrib and ‘Isha prayers, where the ‘sha prayer is shortened to two Rakat and pick up at least 49 pebbles (small stones).
- Stay in Muzdalifa overnight and leave after the Fajr prayer (10th day) to Mina.
- On the 10th day of Zul-Heja throw 7 of the pebbals at a pillar called (Jaamrat-Al-Aqubah) and then make a sacrifice of a goat or a sheep or a camel to eat and to distribute to the poor.
- After finishing step 7, men shave part of their head or the whole head and women cut of at least an inch of their hair. At that time the state of Ihram is partially over.
- Following step 8, proceed to Makkah to Makkah to perform a second Tawaf (called Tawaf-Al-Ifada) and a second Sa’ie.
- Return to Mina and spend the night.
- On the 11th and 12th days, throw 7 of the pebbles on each of the three pillars. If the pilgrim stays until the 13th day as well, he or she throws pebbles as they did on the 11th and 12th days.
- Return to Makkah and perform the last departing Tawaf before leaving to your country (called Tawaf-Al-Wida).
WHAT IS UMRAH ?
The visit to Makkah at any time of the year in the state of Ihram and perform Tawaf and Sa’ie.
WHAT ARE MIQAT ?
They are of two types; geological; the boundary lines outside Makkah at which the pilgrims have to be in the state of Ihram and of specific dates; the months of Shawal, Zul-Qe’da and Zul-Heja.
WHAT IS SA’IE ?
Marching between the two hills of Safa and Marwa, near the Ka’ba, seven times.
WHAT DOES IHRAM MEAN FOR MEN ?
The intention of performing Hajj and/or Umrah and the removal of all clothes and wrapping the body in a couple of seamless sheets after making Gusl and Wudu’ and Shaving the hair off the private parts and under the arms and wearing simple footwear which does not cover the ankles and having the intention (Niyyat) to perform Hajj.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ADOPTION OF IHRAM BY MEN AND WOMEN?
The women wear sewn clothes and cover the head but not the face and they are allowed to wear socks. The rest of the requirements are the same as for men.